Maintenance and Repairs
For maintenance or repairs:
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Press 1 again
For emergency maintenance after hours:
Common Tenant Situations
- I smell gas.
- Leave your unit immediately and call 911. Tell the dispatcher you smell gas. Wait for further instructions from the firefighters. (TOP)
- My smoke alarm is beeping.
- If you have a battery-operated smoke alarm, your battery is probably low. Call 519-434-2765 and press 1, then press 1 again and ask to have your battery checked. (TOP)
- I got a 24-hour notice.
- LMHC or our contractors will send you a 24-hour notice when we must enter your unit for repairs or maintenance. According to the Residential Tenancies Act, you must let us in if we have given you a 24-hour notice. (TOP)
- I have a dog.
- When you ask for maintenance or repairs, please let us know if you have a dog. (TOP)
- I want to be home when repairs are made to my unit.
- When you call for maintenance or repairs, we will ask you if we have permission to enter the unit if you're not there. If you want to be home when your unit is repaired, do not give permission to enter. (TOP)
- I don't understand why I was charged for a repair.
- Repairs that are necessary through normal wear and tear are paid for by LMHC. You will be billed for the cost of repairs required because of neglect or carelessness of you, your family or your guests. (TOP)
- My water heater isn't working.
- If you live at one of our family sites, your hot water heater is owned by Reliance. Call the phone number on the side of your water heater for service. (TOP)
- I can't turn on my furnace pilot light.
- If you live at one of our family sites, you will have a gas-fired furnace with an electric starter. There is no pilot light on your furnace. If your furnace is not working, first check the "summer/winter" switch (it looks like a light switch) in your basement. Make sure it is turned to "winter." Make sure the panel on your furnace is closed. If it is ajar, the furnace won't start. Change your furnace filter every six months. (TOP)
- I need a new key.
- 519-434-2765 and press 1, then press 1 again to order new keys. You must pay for your keys at the LMHC rent counter before you get your new keys. You will be asked to show photo ID when you pick up your keys. (TOP)
- I need my lock changed.
- Call 519-434-2765 and press 1, then press 1 again to order a lock change. You must pay for your lock change before the work is done. (TOP)
- I want replacement screens for my windows.
- Call 519-434-2765 and press 1, then press 1 again to order window screens. You must pay for replacement window screens before they are installed.(TOP)
- I think I have bed bugs.
- Call 519-434-2765 and press 1, then press 1 to report bed bugs in your unit. Click here for more information about bed bugs.(TOP)
- If possible, please use "Draino" regularly in your bathtub, bathroom sink, kitchen sink and laundry tub to prevent the build-up of hair, lint, etc.
- Please tell LMHC staff or contractors if you have put chemicals in a plugged drain.
- On cold winter days, please keep doors and windows closed to prevent heat loss and condensation.
- Please don't flush diapers, feminine paper, paper towels or leftover food down your toilet.
- Please don't pour grease or food particles down your sink, drain or toilet.
- Please don't store small items like toothbrushes, combs, etc. on top of your toilet.
To help reduce your need for maintenance, please try the following:
Tenant insurance protects your things if your home is damaged by fire or flooding. You must buy your own insurance. LMHC does not give you insurance. If you would like to buy insurance, your CRW can tell you how to find an insurance company.
Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) will pay for tenant insurance as part of your accomodation allowance. Talk to your OW or ODSP caseworker for more information.
What is Property Services?
The Assets and Property Services department looks after the management, maintenance and repair of all LMHC's properties.
For information about upcoming construction at your property, click here.